Niagara Woodcarvers Association
38th Annual Show and Competition
~~ 2017 Competition ~~
Please Note: Carving Registration is Saturday April 1, 2017 - 8:00 to 10:00 AM
Competition Entry Form
People's Choice Competition/Club Members' Competition
The public will choose the winners of the Club Members' Boot Competition. Voting will be open until 3:00 on Sunday.
Prizes 1st $75, 2nd $50, 3rd $25 all in Lee Valley gift certificates.
Carving Competition Registration
- Registration will take place between 8:00 a.m. and 10 a.m. on Saturday at the Show.
- No mail-in entries will be accepted.
- All entrants agree to comply with the competition rules and acknowledge that their signature on the entry form signifies total acceptance of the rules and absolves the Niagara Woodcarvers Association of any responsibility for loss or damage to their carvings.
- A maximum of 2 carvings per category may be submitted, however you may enter in as many categories as you wish.
- Entrants agree that the decision of the judges is final.
$5.00 for each carving.
No Entry free for Youth Category.
Carving Competition Classes
A person may enter only one of the following classes.
Youth: Carver 16 years of age and under,
any carving of their choice. There is no entry fee and entries can be any style of carving.
Novice: Carver who has carved less than 3
years, has not won 5 first place ribbons or Best of Class in any show previous to this
show. Cast feet will be allowed in this class.
Intermediate: Carver who has won a 5 first place
ribbons in Novice or who has been carving more than
3 years. Cast feet will be allowed in this class.
Open: Any carver may participate in Open Class. Open Class is intended for the advanced
carver, who has won five first place ribbons or Best of Class in Intermediate at any show previously.
Cast feet will NOT be accepted in Open Class.
- A) Waterfowl
- B) Songbirds
- C) Birds of Prey, Game birds
- D) Shorebirds, Sea birds, other birds
- E) Animals - a human may be included, i.e. a rider
- F) Aquatic
- G) Human Figures and Busts
- H) Caricature
- I) North American Native, including masks, totems, etc. (Realistic human figures to be entered into Category G)
- J) Canes, Walking Sticks, Paddles
- K) Relief - on a generally flat surface giving the illusion of depth and perspective
- L) Woodburning - on a generally flat surface, i.e. plaques, boxes, etc. - Transparent finish or colours may be included
- M) Bark Carving
- N) Flora - Flowers and plants, realistic or decorative
- P) Fantasy/Mythical - including dragsons, wizards, gnomes, etc.
- Q) Marquetry, Intarsia or Mosaics
- O) Others (not listed above), including Chip Carving and Intarsia
- UA) Media other than wood - Stone, antler, rubber, etc.
- UB) Wood Turning
- UC) Chip Carving
- UD) Scroll Sawing
- YA) Youth 12 years and younger
- YB) Youth 13-16 years
Please supply a stand to display relief carvings or wood burnings in the competition.
Each of the judging criteria are of equal importance.
- Presentation: Originality and creativity, artistry and visual impact of the overall
carving (includes the interaction with the mounting). Line, form, content, color, mass and
movement should all be working together. Capturing the essence of the
subject and giving it a lifelike presence.
- Design and Degree of Difficulty: Proper proportions, perspective, balance and form.
Choice of wood; color, grain, etc. to enhance carving's appeal. Complexity and difficulty of
- Craftsmanship: Carving techniques, execution of detail, texturing, quality of joints,
if laminated, cleanliness of finished work.
- Surface Finish: Appropriateness and quality of painting or finish.
Awards & Ribbons
Category First $25.00 - Second $20.00 - Third $15.00.
Best of Class will be awarded for Novice, Intermediate, and Open - $50.00 each.
Best of Show - First $200.00 -- Second 150.00 -- Third $100.00.
Rosette Ribbons will be awarded for 1st in each category, Best of Class and Best of Show.
Honourable Mention Ribbons will be at the discretion of the judges.
Youth Category 1st - $25, 2nd - $15, 3rd - $10.
Carving Show Rules
- Every carving must have been carved within last 12 months.
- Every carving must be an original, made by the carver(s),
If more than one, all must sign the entry form.
- Any entry may be moved into another
category at the discretion of the judges
- If only 1 or 2 carvings are in a category the judges may put the carving(s) into another category, or give the appropriate ribbon, not necessarily 1st or 2nd.
- No carving will be accepted if made from
a duplicating machine, however, power tool carving is allowed
- The term natural finish means both texturing
and wood grain must show through the final finish.
- The term painted finish means work coloured
by any means that obliterates the grain on any part of the
- While the Niagara Woodcarvers Association will take every reasonable precaution
to ensure safety of carvings at the show, the Association will not be held responsible
for any accidental damage or loss to the carvings entered.
- All carvings must stay on display through the remainder of the show,
until Sunday at 5:00 p.m. - No Exceptions -
Any complaints should be submitted in writing to the Show Committee.
[ About the Club]